If you would like to fly into Madikwe Game Reserve you can get information here >>>
If you would like to fly into Sabi Sands Game Reserve you can get information here >>>
TRAVELLING BY ROAD
Madikwe Game Reserve:
Please note that there are several entrances to the Madikwe Game Reserve :
Abjaterskop Gate | Wonderboom Gate | Tau Gate | Derdepoort Gate | Motledi Gate
For the most part those lodges in the western part of the Game Reserve are accessed by the Wonderboom Gate. Lodges located in the central and eastern part of the Game Reserve are accessed via the Abjaterskop Gate. On confirmation of your lodge booking we will provide you relevant directions to your lodge.
- From Johannesburg head north on the N1 towards the N4 Toll road.
- Take the N4 Toll road north west towards Rustenburg, Swartruggens, Groot Marico and Zeerust.
- Once in Zeerust turn right at the second stop street into President Street. There is a signpost on the left. that says "Madikwe Game Reserve/Gaborone" and a First National Bank on the corner to the right.
- Follow the R49 towards the reserve for approximately 97km.
- The first entrance to the reserve is Abjaterskop Gate.
- The second gate to the reserve is the Wonderboom Gate exactly 7km from the first gate.
Sabi Sands Game Reserve:
500 km from Johannesburg, an easy five-hour drive on National Roads. Road transfers from the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport to Sabi Sabi can be arranged on request. Sabi Sabi is a two-hour scenic drive from Nelspruit. Transfers from the airport can be arranged.
There are three entry gates into the Sabi Sand Reserve
Shaw’s Gate | Newington Gate | Gowrie Gate.
Please note, The Shaws Gate and the Newington Gate is a 5.5 hour drive from Johannesburg. The Gowrie Gate is a 7-hour drive from Johannesburg. Currently an entrance fee of ZAR 150 per vehicle, and an additional ZAR 30 per passenger is payable (cash only). Entrance fees increase Sep 2012 to ZAR 160 per vehicle and ZAR 40 per passenger.
The Gates open at 05h00 / 06h00 am and close at 22h00 / 23h00. Please note that these times are subject to change. The Sabi Sand Reserve is a protected reserve and therefore access is restricted – hence the gate opening and closing times.
Once you enter the Sabi Sand Game reserve, please drive carefully and adhere to the following regulations:
- Travel directly to your destination and do not deviate from the route.
- Do not leave the roads.
- Do not leave your vehicle, remain in your vehicle at all times.
- Remain at a respectable distance from wild animals.
- Remember that all wild animals are dangerous.
- Do not exceed the speed limit of 40 km/hour.
- Do not feed the animals in the Sabi Sand Reserve.
- Retain your receipt as proof of entrance and have it stamped at your destination.
- Do not litter in the reserve.